Modern Times Productions:
In a related film-making venture, Modern Times Productions has directed &
produced an award-winning series of over 15 documentaries about Workplace Innovation in North America. Recognized as the 'Silver Screen Award' winner by the
World's Leading Competition for Business &Television Informational Productions (International Film & Video Festival, Los Angeles,
CA.), this series includes the first Canadian video to show Workplace Change as a truly joint venture between labour and management. These productions are now available through the Modern Times Store.
A Mutual Gains Strategy*:
The foundation for all this work has been a mutual gains strategy. The aim is
to achieve Economic Competitiveness at High Living Standards. In today's world, this requires continual growth in productivity (ie. exceptional quality, efficiency,
innovation and time-to-market). Within a mutual gains strategy, this is based upon development of high levels of skill, adaptability, and commitment from
Employees, with whom Employers share the economic returns and invest those returns in ways that enhance the employment security of the work force.
* An excellent reference is "The Mutual Gains Enterprise", authored by Thomas
Kochan and Paul Osterman, and published by Harvard Business School Press, 1994
Our Recent Project Work
* National Science Foundation (USA) project for virtual organization in advanced
Research & product Development -- within a major Pharmaceutical company , an international Media producer, a network of Alzheimer's Disease Centers, and a multi-University applied physics program
* Development of employee engagement in Reliability, Safety, and other aspects of the operation and maintenance of the Zellstoff Celgar pulp mill (Castlegar, B.C.)
* Multi-Stakeholder development of the Qualified Companies Project by the B.C. Forest Safety Council
* Facilitation for innovative contract negotiations to revive paper machine operations at the Port Alberni Division of Catalyst Paper Corporation and the C.E.P.
* Facilitation in support of World Class Safety within the pulp mills of Zellstoff Celgar Ltd. and P.P.W.C. Local 1 British Columbia, and Zellstoff Rosenthal and Zellstoff Stendal (Germany)
* Consultation with the Work Research Institute (Oslo, Norway) for a multi-employer and multi-union Collaboration in Industrial Renewal (Grenland, Norway)
* Joint development of a High Performance Work Organization by Rustad Division of Canadian Forest Products Ltd. and USWA Local 1-424.
* Facilitation of World Class Safety and Operational Excellence by Pulp and
Paper Divisions of Norske Canada and the C.E.P. and P.P.W.C. Unions
* Joint Safety Initiative in the Coastal Woodlands Division of International Forest Products Ltd. and USWA Local 1-2171
* Relationship-Building and Joint Consultation on major Technological Change by the B.C. Workers' Compensation Board and the Compensation Employees' Union
* 'Designing for Sustainability' Project with the Architectural Institute of British Columbia, Canada
* Joint development of a Work Systems Agreement for a new OSB 2000 Plant
by Weyerhaeuser (Canada) Ltd. and IWA-Canada Local 1-184, (Hudson Bay, Sask.)
* Work Organization (Re)Design for current and expanded Upgrading facilities,
and Negotiation of a new Progression System for the Extraction operations, by Suncor Energy Inc. and C.E.P. Local 707 (Fort McMurray, Alberta)
* Renewal of a Joint Dialogue Process by Sask Energy Inc. and C.E.P. Local 649
Examples of Other Major Projects
* Development and Implementation of a new Partnership Agreement by MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. and IWA-Canada Local 1-80 (Chemainus, B.C.)
* Joint Health and Safety initiatives within the surface Coal-Mining operations of Luscar Ltd. and U.M.W.A., (Estevan, Sask. and Hinton, Alberta)
* Work Redesign to relieve Telephone Operators' Stress and to improve Customer Service by the Communication Workers of Canada, Local 5, and the Manitoba Telephone System
* Joint Environmental Initiatives within the Forestry & Logging operations of International Forest Products Ltd. and IWA-Canada Local 1-71
* Study of Industrial Participation and Technological Change for Australia Post and the Australian Postal & Telecommunications Union
* Joint development of Worker Participation in Decision-Making in manufacturing operations of Fletcher Challenge and P.P.W.C. Local 18 (Mackenzie, B.C.)
* A Roundtable on High Performance Work Systems by LTV Steel Co. (Cleveland,Ohio) and the Locals of the United Steelworkers of America
* Joint process to improve Labour-Management Relations in Airfield Maintenance by the Vancouver Airport Authority and C.U.P.E.
* Joint action and research to improve Labour and Community Stability, by a consortium of employers and trade unions in the Skeena Manpower Development Committee (Northwest B.C.)
* Participative Job Redesign in the joint restructuring of health services delivery by the B.C. Ministry of Health and the B.C.G.S.E.U.
* Workplace Re-Organization, a joint process of consultation and workplace change in manufacturing divisions of International Forest Products Ltd and IWA-Canada
* A Search for Innovation in "Good Jobs With New Technology" sponsored by General Motors (Canada) and the Canadian Auto Workers Union
* Education of Labour and Management representatives within Safety, Health & Industrial Relations Training Fund of the Energy & Chemical Workers Union.
A Sample of Publications
"Using Action Research to Promote New STS Theory & Practice", 2007 International Action Research Conference, Work Research Institute, Oslo, Norway.
"Action research Design of IT & Knowledge Work"
, 2007 International Action Research Conference, Work Research Institute, Oslo, Norway
"The Electronic Claim File: A Case Study of Impacts of Information Technology in Knowledge Work", 2002 Journal of Proceedings, ACM 2002 Conference on
Computer Supported Cooperative Work, ACM Press, New York, N.Y.
"Good Jobs With New Technology", 1992, a handbook on how labour and management can achieve good jobs in an era of technological change, based upon
a report commissioned by Labour Canada, General Motors, and the Canadian Auto Workers Union
"Benefits of a Partcipatory Safety and Hazard Management Program", in Human Factors in Organization Design and Management, ed Brown, O. et al, Elsevier Science Publishers
"Community Development and Worklife Improvement: The Skeena Manpower Development Project", in A Casebook of Canadian Experiences in the Quality of
Working Life, ed. Cunningham, J.B. et al.
"The Marriage of the Social Scientist and Industrial Engineer", in Applied Systems
and Cybernetics, Vol. 1, ed. Lasker, G.E., Pergamon Press
"Experiences of Employee Participation in Decision-Making", in Worker
Participation: Success and Problems, Jain, H.C., Praeger
"An Action Research Approach to Organization Design", in Manpower Planning
and Organization Design, ed. Bryant, D.T. et al, Plenum Press.